Release notes v5
Updating from Stockfish 5 to Stockfish 10. A major jump in version! Both versions of Stockfish are rated 3000+ Elo. Stockfish 5 was not lacking in power but its always nice to be running on the latest and greates.
- Major update to Stockfish 10. See rating. See Stockfish homepage.
- UI update to kibitzer: It shows only relevant lines
- Kibitz preview board was also enhanced in size and made more consistent with the move review board.
Release notes v 4.65
This latest release brings some nice improvements to the opening book functionality. It's not perfect yet but its def. better!
- Book now provides suggestions at the start of a new game
- Book continues to search preferred style first
- Opening found are randomized
- Chess engine is provided with options to choose from
- A list of possible lines is provided on the fly
- The list matches the active position being played
- Includes a fix where the openings book was called too early and caused the engine's book to fail
I have a couple of long term projects that could be useful for players. One of them is to search in a database for games with the same opening that was played on the last game. Perhaps this feature can inspire game play as you will be able to see how high level players approached the same opening.
Running such a database can be expensive, however, so I have to find ways to keep costs low for this feature. I am also thinking of other ways to help players learn about the openings that they are playing.
I hope you find the new opening experience to be better than before. - Carlos
Release notes v 4.5
Hello! Its been a while. I am releasing some nice improvements to the opening selections by the engine. If you leave the opening choice as "Any" then the opening selections will be more randomized than ever before. In the past you may have only seen a few openings being used but now the selection will vary greatly and you should see more fun opening play. I am also releasing some bug fixes to the Syzygy book which has been freely provided to all by Syzygy tablebases. The fix now uses their updated API and results.
- Major improvements to opening book
- The user can now select the type of opening they prefer to play (limits the engine's opening options to that choice).
- The engine will now try to follow the active book line if possible or it will search for other variants
- Fixes to the opening book data
- Engine stats
- Shows a live meter of depth/eval
- Shows mate in...
- Shows next book move under stats
- Updates to Syzygy book to make it work again
Updates to v4
I'm releasing some tweaks to the UI after noticing that people need an easier way to highlight the last move and to jump back to a previous position. I'm also updating the chart to give slightly more interesting information.
- The game chart now shows an overall game evaluation from the player's perspective and the material difference. So if the chart is on the negative side, the engine thinks you are at a disadvantage. The material line is also relative to the player. A lot of times material and evaluation lines track together. Sacrificing material, for example will likely show you down material and down a position so hopefully you are very sure of you sacrifice before making it. Sometimes, though, material and evaluation scores will diverge and this will of course indicate a positional advantage for the player or computer.
- You can now rewind a game to a specific position. Click on an move in the move list and in the modal that opens you will be able to navigate to the move you want to back track to.
- Hovering over a move on the move list will show the source and target square of the move (but it won't change the active position on the board, you will have to click on the move to review it instead).
- Minor UI tweaks to make the review board more useful.
- More to come!
January - 2018
Happy New Year!
There's been a bunch of great updates to the Chess UI recently and I hope you enjoy them. Here's some of the recent features on the latest release:
- Kibitzer shows position on hover
- Active player is indicated
- Added 6 man Syzygy tables thanks to https://syzygy-tables.info
- Added the ability to start a game with a FEN string
- Added player odds options. Its always interesting to see how a computer might deal with being down a piece and how when using the strongest settings it will very likely crush anyone
- Added training positions to practice with. I've only added a few to start but I hope to collect more interesting postions and add them in the future.
There are a lot more features that I would like to add to the Chess UI to bring it closer to standard desktop UIs and I hope the ability to export games, load fens, set up positions, have a kibitzer and evaluation cover the most important set of features.
About this project
This is the second iteration of the Chess UI site. The improvements and changes are many but I'd like to highlight the following:
- Make it easy to play against the machine
- Implement move review features
- Save game settings
- Allow draws
- Improve game validation
- Improve the board
- Implement more features for beginners
- Improve opening line display
- Better charts
- Show kibitzer
- Removed: Games saved
I hope you like the changes. There are more coming. I'll also write about the project more on my code blog.
- Carlos Moran